Looking for a specific recipe? Search here:

Friday, August 9, 2013

Watermelon Sorbet


















A request for Watermelon Sorbet last week made it possible to experience a refreshing treat that I may have otherwise missed.

It’s always amusing to watch people testing watermelons to determine which one is best to take home.  Everything from giving it a few raps with the knuckles to rolling it on the floor seem to be just a few ways to succeed in choosing the perfect one.

There was a time when the thought of buying a whole watermelon truly intimidated me. 

After getting married and taking on the responsibility of grocery shopping I lacked the confidence to buy this very large fruit.  When I think about it now, my fears were totally unfounded and rather silly. I eventually learned that my guess was as good as the next person's when figuring out which watermelon in the bin was the better one.  
 
Since overcoming my fears a wonderful watermelon goes into in my grocery cart each week from the beginning of the season to the end of summer.  When making a choice on which one to take home I first check the outer appearance for bumps, bruises or any other obvious trauma the melon may have endured since leaving the field.

If the watermelon passes the initial test I check for the weight as I lift it up.  If it feels heavy for its size that's the one that's coming home with me.  The rest is basically left to chance, one worth taking though!
 
Watermelon Sorbet is super easy to make and the required ingredients couldn’t be more simple or inexpensive.

It's hard to imagine a more perfect fruit to enjoy in its purest form although Watermelon Sorbet has a way of taking this  amazing fruit to another level! 

Watermelon Sorbet
1 cup sugar
½ cup water
¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
3 cups chopped watermelon
  1. Stir together sugar, water and lemon juice and cook until sugar dissolves.
  2. Remove from heat, cool down then chill in refrigerator.
  3. Puree watermelon chunks in a blender or food processor then stir in chilled syrup.
  4. Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
  5. Pack into an airtight container and store in the freezer.
  6. Makes about 4 cups sorbet.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions






















 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment