The anticipation for seasonal Ontario peaches always brings sweet and juicy rewards.
We’ve already enjoyed peach pie and Sautéed Peaches this year and a promise to make Peach Ice Cream really wasn’t too difficult to keep.
Placing a scoop of homemade Peach Ice Cream on top of a layer of Sautéed Peaches made a double delicious treat . The lineup of empty dessert dishes was evidence that combining the two into one dessert was a total success.
This Peach Ice Cream recipe is delicious, creamy, not too sweet and extra special because it can only truly be enjoyed in the short, sweet time seasonal peaches are available. Once the season is over, the patient anticipation for next year’s crop begins all over again.
There are a few more ways to enjoy peaches before the season is over. Cinnamon, Basil Peach Bread and Peach Shortcake Muffins are among the more familiar recipes. A few new recipes will be transferred out of my “recipes to try out file” should they pass the test.
I’ve heard that someone has come across the recipe for a mean Peach Cobbler…wonder if she will share the recipe with me!
Peach Ice Cream
1 ½ cups heavy cream (35% whipping cream)
1/3 cup sugar
2 large sweet peaches, peeled and pitted
¼ cup peach nectar
¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat the cream in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles appear around the edge. (Do not let the cream boil.)
- Remove from heat and add the sugar stirring until it dissolves completely. Cool to room temperature.
- Cut peeled and pitted peaches into pieces and place into blender, add the peach nectar.
- Blend until the peaches are pureed.
- Stir the peach puree and vanilla into the cooled cream and refrigerate until cool or overnight.
- Freeze in ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze at least 2 hours before eating. May be stored in freezer for a couple of weeks.
- Remove from freezer and allow to soften a little before scooping ice cream out.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Make sure peaches are ripe, juicy and sweet for this recipe.
- Bottles of Peach Nectar are readily available in most grocery stores.