I found myself with a surplus of fragrant, ripe nectarines this past week. Placing them in a basket made a wonderful display on the kitchen counter.
Though beautiful to look at I knew that it was only a matter of time before I should decide exactly what to do with them.
An overabundance of any particular ingredient inspires my search for a new recipe to experiment with and hopefully enjoy in the end.
A recipe for Nectarine Strawberry Popsicles which had caught my interest a few weeks prior came to mind. At the time there was no immediate interest to try it out and went straight into that famous recipes to try out file.
1 pint (2 cups strawberries, hulled)
4 nectarines ( 1 to 1 ½ pounds total) peeled, pitted and cut into chunks.
½ cup granulated sugar.
- In a blender, puree strawberries, nectarines and sugar until smooth.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve.
- Pour mixture into pop molds, insert sticks and freeze at least 4 hours.
- Makes 6 to 8 pops depending on size of molds.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- To insert wooden sticks instead of the plastic ones that come with the molds place two strips of tape over filled molds and insert the sticks in between the tape strips.until mixture hardens. Sticks can also be inserted when mixture is partially frozen instead and will not sink. (this method requires a lot of checking to see if mixture is firm enough but not too hard to insert sticks)
- These are too easy to make to be so good!