The first time I saw these sweet mini peppers in the grocery store I admit to purchasing them because they looked so cute!
Many of these sweet little peppers ended up in the frying pan while the occasional thinly sliced few brought a burst of colour to a bowl of plain green salad. I've since used them in the Peppers and Eggplant Calabrese recipe previously posted and they worked very well.
The sweet taste and tender texture of these peppers is unlike any other I’ve tasted. No need to worry about tough skins as they are hardly noticeable along with very few tiny seeds on the inside. Needing a third side dish for a recent dinner I was looking for something to bring much needed colour to the plate since the other two vegetable sides were shades of green.
Easy to prepare with minimal cleanup would be the best way to describe this preparation of peppers with the added bonus of colourful presentation.
No special ingredients required, a little oil, salt and pepper will bring a sweet explosion of taste and colour to any dinner!
Roasted Sweet Mini Peppers
2 pounds sweet mini peppers
3 tablespoons canola or corn oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place peppers in the center of a large baking pan and add oil, salt and pepper.
- With hands make sure peppers are coated with the oil and seasonings.
- Spread the peppers in one layer in the pan.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
Notes Tips and Suggestions
- There may be a few larger size peppers in the bag. Remove the smaller peppers that are done first and leave the larger ones in the oven a few more minutes.
- Although the original recipe didn’t instruct I turned peppers over half way through for more even roasting.
- Although this recipe calls for 2 pounds of peppers it can easily be cut into any amount. Add just enough oil to lightly coat the peppers used then salt and pepper to taste.
- I will never fry these peppers again!