Looking for a specific recipe? Search here:

Friday, January 23, 2015

Myer Lemon Ricotta Muffins


I've had Myer Lemons on my mind for quite some time but they're not the easiest lemons to find.  A cross between a regular lemon and mandarin orange certainly piqued my interest at least to once  experience their unique taste.

Finally came across a four pound container of Myer lemons, a few too many too buy for the first time but I couldn’t let the opportunity pass me by. I managed to give a couple away and later learned that they had made their way into an lovely lemon cake. 

These lemons are sunny yellow in colour with a delicate, very smooth skin.  Although the Myer lemon is known to be sweeter than the regular lemon I didn’t notice too much difference and I’m not sure I would have guessed the mandarin orange taste had I not known before tasting one. What stood out was the light, almost floral scent of the lemon and absence of the tart edge of a regular lemon.  

Since I had quite a few lemons on my hands most of them were used in the same way a regular lemon is utilized. However, the intention was to use them in some baked goods.

Myer lemons find their way into a range of baked goods and after considering some very interesting recipes including cakes, breads, biscotti and more, I decided on this muffin recipe to use up some ricotta sitting in the fridge.

It's hard to describe the amazing fragrance that came from the batter once the zest hit the wet ingredients.  An undeniable mandarin orange scent rose up from the bowl taking me by surprise!

Myer lemons... a delicious encounter!

Myer Lemon Ricotta Muffins
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, room temperature
Lemon zest from one lemon
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 cup granulated sugar
  1. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
  2. Beat together butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy.
  3. Add ricotta, lemon juice, egg and almond extract and beat until well mixed.
  4. Gradually stir in dry ingredients just until combined.
  5. Divide batter between 9 to 12 lined muffin cups and sprinkle with slivered almonds.
  6. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
  7. Cool Muffins in pan for 5 minutes then remove to finish cooling on wire rack.























Notes Tips and Suggestions
  • If Myer lemons are not available try using regular lemons.
  • The batter is on the thicker side but I found it to be a little too dry perhaps because the ricotta used had little moisture. Quitting was not an option.  I gradually added enough milk to loosen the batter beating it in with a mixer being careful not to over beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment