I would have stopped posting new shortbread cookie recipes I’ve tried this year but this may very well be the one that replaces my favourite peanut butter cookie recipe.
Perhaps it’s the finer texture of these cookies or more delicate peanut butter taste that makes them so enjoyable. The added flavour and extra crunch of honey roasted peanuts might also have something to do with it.
The only thing that could possibly take these cookies over the top is a quick dip into some delicious melted chocolate!
Honey Roasted Peanut Butter Shortbread Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup very finely chopped honey-roasted peanuts, optional
- Combine the butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl; beat with electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in vanilla.
- Sift together flour and cornstarch and stir or beat into dry ingredients until mixture holds together. Blend in the very finely chopped peanuts.
- Chill for about 30 minutes.
- Roll out on a lightly floured board to about 1/4-inch thickness, cut with cookie cutters and place on an ungreased or parchment lined baking sheet .(Tops of cookies may be coated with some chopped honey roasted peanuts for some texture at this point.)
- May also be shaped into small balls and placed on a cookie sheet, dipping the bottom of a glass in granulated sugar, and flattening gently to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cookies are set and bottoms just begin to brown.
- Cool on the pan for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If desired, melt 1 cup chocolate chips with 2 teaspoons of shortening and drizzle over the cookies.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Absolutely delicious alternative to regular peanut butter cookies...a must try!