We usually make use of our barbecue year round however this past winter's inclement weather made it impossible to reach. Moving it close to the door was not an option as it was frozen solid to the deck, we couldn’t even get the sliding door open to make a pathway leading to it. After the much anticipated thaw it was great to enjoy using it once again! I see barbecuing as less kitchen cleanup and some carefree summer dinners.
I love cooking corn on the barbecue. Away with large pots, boiling water and bland tasting corn and welcome to barbecue charred, spicy ears of corn!
Although there are several ways of putting corn on the barbecue, this recipe can be prepped way ahead of time, no last minute fussing and zero cleanup unless you count throwing the aluminum foil into the trash.
Since all the seasonings and butter are added to the corn before cooking it totally absorbs the flavour and richness of the butter and essence of the thyme and pepper medley. The corn is ready to serve right from the barbecue although I recommend cooling it down a little before indulging!
For some extra flavour a little Lemon Thyme infused butter goes a long, long way!
Zesty Barbecued Corn
corn, husk and remove corn-silk
1 ½ to 2 tablespoons butter for each ear of corn
sprinkle of Zesty Pepper Medley on each corn
salt, if desired
- After corn is cleaned place on a sheet of foil wrap. (Corn can be wrapped individually or in two’s. (More than two will make it difficult to turn over while on the barbecue.)
- Add butter and pepper medley. Wrap corn in foil sealing it tightly so the butter will not leak out.
- Place on preheated barbecue and cook for about 5 minutes, turn corn and cook other side for about 5 minutes more.
- Carefully unwrap (being careful of hot steam) and serve with additional Lemon Thyme Butter if desired.
Lemon Thyme Butter
4 tablespoons butter softened to room temperature
1 teaspoon finely zested lemon peel
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoons finely chopped thyme.
Mix all ingredients until well blended and serve.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Use Lemon Thyme Butter on corn before barbecuing instead.
- Lemon Thyme Butter is also good on other vegetables such as asparagus, broccoli etc.
- I used lemon thyme from the garden but any variety will do.