Looking for a specific recipe? Search here:

Friday, June 13, 2014

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins


For some time I’ve been slowly working to organize the numerous recipes saved over the years.  My “recipes to try out file” is totally out of control and the many clippings from magazines and more recently printed recipes are seriously lacking organization.

I felt a certain urgency to speed up the process after finding myself visiting my own blog on occasion to get a recipe. In a recent conversation with my daughter, I proclaimed myself to be a recipe hoarder.  She calmly assured me it was okay and told me she was enjoying the tried and true recipes I passed on to her.

As I was sorting the many recipes, a picture of Chocolate Zucchini Muffins on the page saved from a magazine was too hard to overlook.  Although the recipe for zucchini muffins I’ve been making for a long time is very good I couldn’t resist giving this one a try.

Since putting this post together I have made some progress.  Most of my homeless recipes sit in neat, basically organized piles. The new recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Muffins has now been added to the binder labelled Muffins, Quick Breads and Scones and I’m feeling a wonderful sense of accomplishment.

The muffins?  Absolutely moist, chocolaty and delicious and I know exactly where to find the recipe for the next time!

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cups granulated sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
2/3 cups plain yogurt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup packed shredded zucchini
½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
1/4 teaspoon chipotle ground pepper  (optional)
  1. Line muffin tin with 12 paper muffin liners.
  2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  3. In another bowl whisk together sugar and cocoa.
  4. Gradually blend milk into sugar/cocoa mixture then whisk in egg, yogurt, oil and vanilla.
  5. Stir in zucchini, add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened, add chocolate chips if using.
  6. Fill muffin cups and bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for about 22 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
  7. Let muffins cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.


















Notes, Tips and Suggestions
  • I'll try adding a teaspoon of cinnamon next time I bake these muffins.
  • If making  9 large muffins increase baking time by 5 to 6 minutes.
  • I omitted the chipotle ground pepper mostly because I didn't have any but feared the heat factor as well.  Perhaps I'll try a pinch of cayenne pepper next time.
  • These muffins are borderline cupcakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment