It’s always a good idea to have a few boxes of ingredients in the cupboard or freezer that can be quickly put together to create a delicious dessert.
There are definitely times when you need a sweet ending to a special dinner but don’t have the time or inclination to spend hours in the kitchen.
These Vanilla Custard Fruit Tarts come together very quickly with frozen tart shells, a box of instant vanilla pudding, milk and sour cream.
Fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries or blackberries really dress up the tops of these tarts. If fresh fruit is not available canned fruit pie filling works in a pinch and it pays to have a can in the pantry.
These tarts taste as good as they look and compliments are sure to follow… no one needs to know about the shortcut!
Vanilla Custard Fruit Tarts
1 package frozen tart shells (12 large or 18 mini tarts)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
1 package instant vanilla pudding (4 serving size)
1 pouch clear glaze (optional, follow package instructions)
- Bake tart shells according to package directions and cool completely.
- Beat sour cream and milk with electric beater until smooth.
- Blend in pudding mix until mixture is smooth and slightly thickened.
- Pour into baked and cooled tart shells.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes until set.
- Arrange fresh berries on top of tarts and brush clear glaze over berries if desired.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Pour filling into an 8 inch baked pie shell instead of tart shells then refrigerate 1 hour to set.
- Clear glaze is optional but gives the fruit a glossy finish which also helps to preserve the fruit.
- Add a swirl of whipped cream on top of fruit for a little extra presentation and taste.
- Place some thinly sliced bananas into the bottom of baked shells before adding custard for a little twist on texture and taste.