Homemade bread sticks have been something I’ve always wanted to make in anticipation of enjoying something better than store bought which are seriously lacking in texture and taste!
After checking out several recipes I choose this one since it seemed to have the right balance of ingredients, standing out above the rest.
However, while putting the ingredients together I found it necessary to reread the recipe several times since the directions were not giving the results described. At this point I wasn't getting a strong sense of oncoming success.
You do know there’s absolutely no giving up half way through a recipe!
After the initial cup of flour, up to one one and a quarter additional cups could possibly be added. It was a good idea to add the rest of the flour in half cup increments since the right dough consistency was reached after the addition of the first half cup.
After stressing a little over how I was going to get thirty two bread sticks out of the amount of dough I ended up with I finally realized that the lesser amount of flour used was most likely the reason for a yield of twenty bread sticks instead. A few minor ingredient adjustments and clarification in the method of preparation was also necessary and are reflected in the recipe below.
Now for the good news…absolutely rustic, crunchy and delicious!
2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
2/3 cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ cup olive or vegetable oil plus 2 tablespoons for brushing on bread sticks
2 to 2 ¼ cups all- purpose flour
1 egg white plus one tablespoon water, lightly beaten
coarse salt or sesame seeds
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and sugar.
- Combine 1 cup flour, ¼ cup oil and salt, add dissolved yeast and stir until smooth.
- Stir in remaining flour ½ cup at a time until dough is soft, leaves sides of bowl and is easy to handle.
- Knead dough for 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic lightly flouring the hands if necessary. Shape dough into a uniform roll 10 inches long.
- Cut crosswise into 32 equal pieces (this will depend on how much flour is actually used.)
- Roll each piece into a pencil like rope 8 to 10 inches long.
- Place 1 inch apart on parchment lined baking sheet and brush with the 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Cover loosely with a sheet of plastic wrap which has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Brush bread sticks with egg white and water mixture and sprinkle with coarse salt or sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the bread sticks are golden.
- Cool on racks
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- This is a good basic bread stick recipe and can take on many flavours such as garlic, herb, black pepper, cheese or any personal favourite.
- Roll dough to the longer length if a thinner bread stick is desired.
- These would make delicious prosciutto wrapped bread sticks if there were any left to wrap!