Looking for a specific recipe? Search here:

Friday, July 18, 2014

Chocolate Coconut Scones


The craving for something coconut brought me to this delicious scone recipe.

It’s a good idea to keep a few inspirational ingredients within view in the pantry for the day baking is on your mind.  Coconut is one of my favourite ingredients, practically a staple in my kitchen.  Judging from the never ending supply of recipes using coconut I conclude that I’m not alone and there’s no shortage of coconut lovers in the world.

Some time ago the Cream Puff Girl also known as my daughter made these scones and sent me a picture.  That’s all I got…a picture!

Wondering if they tasted as good as they looked I intended to make them but never got around to it.  While searching for a way to satisfy my craving for coconut I came across this recipe again and decided the time had come to try it out.

Not having any semi-sweet chocolate on hand I remembered my husband's stash of favourite dark chocolate in the cupboard. I decided to borrow some fully intending to replace it before he noticed it missing!

I would call these dessert scones, delicious and addictive, perfect served at a special tea or enjoyed as a treat for absolutely no reason at all!

Chocolate Coconut Scones
¾ cup 35% whipping cream
1 large egg
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
¾ cups sweetened shredded coconut
½ cup coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate
Coarse sugar (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Combine whipping cream and egg.
  3. Whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt.
  4. With a pastry blender cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
  5. With a fork, stir in cream mixture just until combined.
  6. Quickly stir in coconut and chocolate pieces, do not overwork dough.
  7. Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat into an approximate 8 inch circle.
  8. Cut into 8 wedges and transfer onto parchment lined baking sheet.
  9. Brush tops with a little cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
  10. Bake 18 t0 20 minutes or until golden in colour.
  11. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.
  12. To make ahead, freeze unbaked scones in a single layer, wrap well and store up to 2 months.  Brush frozen scones with a little cream, sprinkle with sugar and bake at 375 degrees F. for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden.










 








Notes, Tips and Suggestions
  • Work quickly and lightly with dough.  Do not knead or squish dough together with hands. After dough is mixed, while still crumbly, press down with palm sticking it together then fold over and press down again.  Continue to do so until it has all come together.  This method will ensure the lightest, most tender scones ever!
  • When making these scones the second time (yes they're that good) I used 18% cream instead of 35% and they were just as rich and delicious.
  • Dark chocolate is not my favourite but it's definitely the one to use in this recipe!
  • Borrowed chocolate has been replaced and no one is the wiser!

No comments:

Post a Comment