One of my favourite pass times is reading cookbooks and more times than not I come across a recipe that catches my interest.
The recipe for Peanut Butter Granola Bars piqued my interest this week since unlike the store bought variety offered a more natural blend of ingredients and no preservatives.
My next step is usually taking inventory of the pantry hoping to find all of the ingredients called for in the new found recipe.
The results were delicious. These bars have great texture and taste, satisfy the craving for something chewy and super easy to make.
After tasting these homemade granola bars there's no going back to store bought, absolutely no comparison!
Peanut Butter Granola Bars
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup corn syrup
1/3 cup butter softened
2 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups rolled oats
½ cup flaked sweetened coconut
½ cup salted sunflower seeds
½ cup raisins
1/3 cup wheat germ
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- In a bowl beat together peanut butter, sugar, corn syrup, butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in oats, coconut, sunflower seeds, raisins and wheat germ and mix well.
- Stir in chocolate chips (if using)
- Pat into greased 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool on rack before cutting into bars
- Makes about 24 bars.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Possibilities are endless, replace some ingredients with your favourites, dried blueberries, chopped, dried apricots, wheat bran, crunchy peanut butter...
- Place parchment paper on the bottom of pan for easy removal and cutting of bars.
- Wrap bars individually to keep them moist and ready to pack in a lunch or take along for a treat.
- Cool bars completely before cutting for best results.