Amaretto Biscuit Tortoni is the perfect dessert to finish off a large meal but the fact remains that some people don’t like the taste of Amaretto. Several years ago this prompted the search for a Tortoni recipe of a different flavour in honour of those non Amaretto lovers.
Although I enjoy the Amaretto flavor, it’s hard to choose between it and the Chocolate Cookie Crumb Tortoni. Just in case you’re wondering, yes I have made several changes to the original recipe and have come up with something that is quite good. However, this causes somewhat of a stir for some over which flavour to choose when Tortoni is for dessert.
The most recent change is the use of crumbled Mayan Chocolate Sparklers cookies I made a few weeks ago. Store bought chocolate wafer cookies are called for in the original recipe but there’s definitely more chocolaty taste and a different texture experience from the homemade cookies!
This dessert is easy to make and gets extra points as it can be prepared days ahead and served directly from the freezer. Use of a pastry bag to fill the cups along with an attractive garnish always suggests the investment of a lot of time and effort. I advise taking in all the compliments and allow your guests to imagine what they may.
For "elevated" presentation a pedestal befits this dessert well. If one is not available, a mini personal cupcake stand will do this Tortoni justice!
Chocolate Cookie Crumb Tortoni
2 cups whipping cream 35%
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2/3 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cups crushed chocolate wafers or favourite chocolate cookies
¼ cup chocolate liquor
- Whip and sweeten whipping cream, set aside.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, gradually add sugar and continue beating until stiff.
- Fold liquor and cookie crumbs into egg white mixture until well combined.
- Fold egg white mixture into the whipped cream.
- Pipe or spoon into paper muffin liners that have been placed in a muffin tin.
- Garnish with chocolate etc.
- Freeze until solid about 4 hours then remove from muffin pan, wrap and store in freezer until ready to serve.
- Rum, coffee flavoured or favourite liquor can also be used.
- Khalua works well.
- Wrapping Tortoni individually after freezing allows removal of as many from the freezer as required.