Looking for a specific recipe? Search here:

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Fruit Muffins

This week, I was reminded of a simple muffin recipe that we enjoyed quite a few years ago.

The variation of ingredients added to muffins are too numerous to count but sometimes simple is best.

I don’t remember how this recipe came to me but it has been in my collection for a good number of years.  I made it often when the kids were growing up.

The ingredients for these Fruit Muffins are simple and can easily be found in most kitchens.  The half cup of pureed fruit however may require a little creativity.

I originally used apple sauce and don't remember when I began using the small jar of strained baby food. Perhaps it was the only pureed fruit on hand at the time as well as the realization that it was exactly the amount needed to make a batch.

Today I took a stroll along the baby food aisle in the grocery store looking for a small jar of strained apricots. For some reason apricot had always been my flavour of choice for these muffins but I'm sure any fruit flavour will work as well.

It‘s been a while since I've made my way down the baby aisle.  Some things have changed like the price of these jars which has more than tripled and a new type of plastic container now available. I chose to stay with what I knew best and purchased the classic glass jar that I remember well. I can’t say how many memories these muffins have brought back along with their delicious taste and soft cake like texture.

Rediscovering an old recipe is just as good as finding a good new one!

Fruit Muffins
2 cups flour
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
1/3 cup oil (corn, canola)
1 egg
1 small jar strained fruit or 1/2 cup pureed fruit any flavour

  1. Sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda and make a well in the center.
  2. Blend or mix together milk, oil and egg together.
  3. Pour into center of dry ingredients, add pureed fruit and stir together just until blended.  Do not over mix.
  4. Fill paper lined muffin wells and bake at 375 degrees F. for 15 to 20 minutes until golden.
  5. Remove from muffin pan and cool on wire rack.
  6. Brush with melted butter and dip tops in a bowl of sugar.  (optional)
  7. Makes 7 to 8 large muffins.




















Notes, Tips and Suggestions

  • Save time by measuring out a few extra batches of dry ingredients leaving only the preparation of wet ingredients when you bake the next batch.
  • A dash of freshly grated nutmeg will go into my next batch, I can almost taste it already!
  • Dipping the tops into sugar is optional but a great finishing touch.
  • These muffins freeze well but are at their best eaten just slightly cooled from the oven although they taste quite good the next day as well.
  • Add favourite nuts or fresh fruit like blueberries to the batter for a delicious variation. 





No comments:

Post a Comment