I love all things chocolate and a cup of steaming hot chocolate is no exception.
Ready made mixes available in supermarkets always leave me searching for something better since they seldom deliver what the label promises. I’ve been looking for a good homemade cocoa mix for a while now and have finally come across a recipe that satisfies my craving for liquid chocolate.
The use of good quality cocoa is essential but this recipe adds chocolate pieces for an extra element of creaminess and deep chocolate taste.
Although skim milk powder is an ingredient in the mix and the addition of hot water brings this drink to life, using milk certainly takes it up a notch.
This recipe makes a good amount to last through the cold winter months. On the other hand if you are feeling generous it makes more than enough to share with others who have an affinity for a good, rich cup of hot chocolate.
Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix
3 cups non fat dry milk powder
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate.
¼ teaspoon salt
- Wisk together all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Working in two batches pulse the ingredients in a food processor until chocolate is finely ground.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Makes about 20 servings.
To Make Hot Cocoa
Place 1/3 cup or (4 level tablespoons) of mix into a mug and stir in 1 cup hot water or milk. Top with whipped cream or miniature marshmallows.
Notes Tips and Suggestions
- Use water or milk that is very hot in order for chocolate pieces to melt and make sure to stir well.
- This mix is not too sweet.
- Substitute white chocolate chips or chopped chocolate for semi sweet chocolate.
- A pinch of cinnamon or cayenne pepper enhances the taste of hot chocolate.