My intention was to cook and post a savoury dish recipe that I was making for dinner this week but upon opening my pantry to gather the needed ingredients a bag of mini coloured marshmallows caught my eye.
The day was dull and grey and definitely needed some colour so I changed my mind and decided to make this special, colourful treat that my kids enjoyed so many times while growing up.
These fun treats put a smile on the face and sparkle in the eye of both children and adults alike. I know this because one of my adult children occasionally reminds me of this recipe.
Before the peanut butter ban in the schools these sweets made it into their lunches on occasion. I remember my daughter once sharing this snack with a very lonely foreign student far away from home and family. Her friend was so grateful for something homemade that we decided to once again brighten her day and make some especially for her which she greatly appreciated.
I eventually got around to making dinner and intend to post the savoury recipe at some point unless once again distracted by something else in the pantry.
I can’t wait to see the smiles these sweet morsels will bring to the faces of some very special children we will be visiting this weekend but a portion have been lovingly put aside for the big children in my life as well.
¼ cup butter or margarine
½ cup peanut butter
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 bag (250 gr.) miniature coloured marshmallows
coconut for topping
- Melt butter and peanut butter together in a large saucepan.
- Stir in chocolate chips until melted.
- Cool mixture so that you can hold your hand on the bottom of the pan.
- Add marshmallows and stir until all are coated.
- Line a 9x9 inch pan that has been lined with wax paper for easy removal.
- Pack mixture into pan making sure it is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle coconut on top.
- Refrigerate until hardened then remove from pan and cut into squares.
- Makes 24 to 36 pieces depending on size.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Placing pan directly into the freezer for a couple of hours before slicing makes cutting the squares much easier and neater, after cutting store in refrigerator.
- Add about a quarter cup of chopped nuts into the mix for something a little different .