I love the extra richness of baked goods with a sweet streusel topping.
The crumbly topping on muffins, quick breads, pies and coffee cakes adds a layer of flavour and texture that is very satisfying to the palate.
On occasion I replace the top crust on apple pie with a delicious streusel layer giving it a different twist along with a welcome change from the usual.
The recipe for Streusel Coffee Cake has been in my recipe collection for many years, however I can’t remember the last time I actually made it. It's been so long that I found it hard to remember exactly where the recipe was hiding. It was a happy reunion once I located it as it brought back to memory the different occasions on which it was served.
One thing I haven’t forgotten is how delicious and easy it is to make and how enjoyable it is with a cup of coffee or tea.
A light dusting of confectioners’ sugar dresses it up to serve on the more special occasion of sharing it with someone else.
Streusel Layered Coffee Cake
1½ cups flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cups sugar
1/3 cup butter (melted)
½ cup milk
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons soft butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- Mix streusel ingredients in a small bowl until crumbly.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl beat together butter, sugar and egg and gradually add milk.
- Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients until well mixed.
- Place half of the batter into greased pan and sprinkle with half of the streusel mixture.
- Top with remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining topping.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.
- Dust with a fine layer of confectioners’ sugar before cutting, (optional).
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- This coffee cake freezes very well.
- Also delicious with a thin drizzle of melted chocolate over the top after it has cooled.
- After greasing pan, line with parchment paper for easier removal of coffee cake.