This waffle recipe uses simple ingredients, is quite easy to make and a great breakfast treat especially when served with fresh berries and whipped cream.
Since there isn’t any sugar in the batter, indulging in sweet toppings is permitted.
Fresh blueberries, raspberries, peaches or mangoes also bring wonderful colour and delicious taste to this light and crisp waffle, not to mention creamy butter and a generous drizzle of maple syrup.
This is certainly not every day fare but a welcomed sight for a late morning, weekend breakfast.
1¾ cups sifted flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
1¼ cups milk
½ cup corn or vegetable oil
2 egg whites
- Sift together flour baking powder and salt.
- Combine egg yolks and milk and stir into dry ingredients.
- Beat egg whites until stiff then fold into flour mixture.
- Preheat waffle maker and bake waffles until golden.
- Makes 5 to 6 large round waffles.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- Blueberries, raspberries or chopped strawberries can be added to batter before baking.
- Berries can be pureed and made into a sauce to serve on top of waffles.
- These freeze well and can be reheated in oven or toaster from the frozen state.